Monday 12 August 2013

The weird and wonderful world of fungi

Already the mushrooms and toadstools are starting, and it looks like being a good year - they seem to like hot summers. I used to pick and eat wild mushrooms until Frog had an upset stomach after one batch. He says it wasn't my fault and that they were either fly-blown (filled with fly eggs or maggots) or shouldn't have been eaten with alcohol but I'm not sure that makes me feel any better.

Nevertheless they are fascinating things and always remind me of fairy tales.

Here is a selection of fungus pictures that I've taken over the years.

This I saw this morning on an oak tree, each shelf of fungus a good 12 inches wide. I thought at first that it was discarded polystyrene.



Discarded polystyrene?
This oyster-like growth - also huge - I saw one May inside a dead tree (that was on its side). Why I was looking inside a dead tree, I have no idea.


Inside a dead tree trunk

These are, I think, parasol mushrooms. They were scattered all over a field one September.







Parasol mushrooms?

This slimy inflorescence appeared on our lawn one October.


On the lawn

No comments:

Post a Comment